The Groundsman Test Drive
Huge thanks to Michel Guirgus from the GYC Mower Depot in Sydney Australia for coming out to demonstrate a great machine from Toro.
Toro Reelmaster 5010 Hybrid
Price range ?
From $86000 AUD depending on the selected accessories.
Cylinder mower for large area sporting surfaces and fine turf.
The Reelmaster 5010-H is the industry’s first and only fairway mower with a true hybrid drive system. The Reelmaster 5010-H utilises a Kubota 24.8 hp diesel engine in concert with an in-line motor generator and a self-recharging 48-volt battery pack to provide seamless power to the machine and cutting units. The combination of these two power sources comprises Toro’s patented hybrid power delivery system called Power Match. Power Match enables the Reelmaster 5010-H to match the power generated to the power required for all cutting conditions. The result is the availability of over 40 horsepower, but only when cutting conditions require it.
Fuel Type ?
This is a Hybrid Mower that runs on Diesel Fuel but also has a 48V battery back that drives the electric motors on the reels.
Height of Cut range ?
8 blade reels range is 13 mm to 25 mm
11 blade reels range is 6mm to 19 mm
The high height of cut kit (HOC) which is optional increase the range from 25 mm to 38 mm if required
What makes it different from the rest ?
• QR code System enabling the operator or a technician to scan it and login directly to online material related to the machine (operators manual, spare parts, hydraulic, electric and wiring schematics, etc).
• 96 less potential Hydraulic line leaks.
• New and improved DPA (dual point adjustment) Edge series reels. The new reels offer less reel to bedknife adjustments, less griding, and longer edge retention. Because of the modified reel geometry, it provides a cleaner cut and better grass collection. They come standard with low-drag seals and low-friction bearings which reduces the power required to run reels which will also increase available power for the traction system.
• You can control the reel speed and clip rate using the onboard InfoCenter.
• On-board backlapping through the InfoCenter.
• The 48 Volt battery system provides supplemental power, matching power output to the actual requirements of your application.
• Less hydraulic maintenance by eliminating more than 96 potential leak points.
• Fuel efficient; 20% to 35% fuel savings.
• 30% longer usage without grinding.
• Electrical components are sealed for protection from elements – can be washed.
• The machine is much quieter during both, transport and mowing than any other competitor.
• Significant reduction in the machine’s carbon footprint.
How long do the batteries last for and what happens to them if you don’t use them for long periods of time ?
There are four 12V Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) sealed and maintenance-free lead carbon batteries, they last at least 3000 hours
The AGM batteries will hold charge for extended periods of time and also automatically recharge (if needed) as soon as you start the engine.
How much does it cost to replace the batteries ?
Approx $1500 AUD
How much fuel do you save being a hybrid ?
20-35% less fuel consumption
How do you adjust the Height of cut and Quality of Cut ?
There are two simple adjusters for the height of cut, dual adjustments on the front of the reel, then spacers on the rear roller to adjust how aggressive the cut is if needed, which helps produce darker stripes but if the cut is too aggressive, could potentially wear out the blades quicker. If the cut becomes ‘too aggressive’, there is more risk of over stressing the grass, especially at lower height of cuts.
To adjust the quality of cut there is a new and improved DPA (dual point adjustment) Edge series reels. The new reels offer less reel to bedknife adjustments, less griding, and longer edge retention.
Alex Gill, the Assistant Head Groundsman from Sydney Uni Sport & Fitness test drove the beast and here are his comments.
How does it perform ?
Performed really well. Machine was quiet and quality of cut was amazing.
Is it comfortable and easy to use ?
Very comfy. Felt very smooth going over the turf. Pretty straight forward to use. Didn’t love the way you control revs but other than that was fine.
Score out of 10 from Alex Gill ?
3303 total views, 1 today
3303 total views, 1 today